Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Wednesday, August 12 2026, Adrienne Baik

Today's puzzle is right up my alley as an old computer nerd, AND as a licenced operator of automobiles.  The dual theme is revealed by the central grid-spanning answer INTERNETTRAFFIC, and the theme answers, reading top to bottom, tell a little driving story, couched in IT terms:

Went for a GOOGLEDRIVE ...
Drove at excessive NETWORKSPEEDS...
Caused a COMPUTERCRASH...
And now there's a SERVERDELAY

Fun!  There's such a thing as PACKETCOLLISION in network-speak, which would also have been apt!  PRINTERJAM perhaps less so, though most printers *are* networked these days. 

Elsewhere, I tip my hat to the inventive cluing of the pedestrian words ONE ("Only number to appear twice in the Fibonacci sequence") and THE ("Hot French beverage").  Another short one - RUG ("Throw, for instance") - actually threw (SWIDT(*)) me for a moment:  I thought it was RIG, which would have also made sense.  And CTRLC ("PC 'copy' shortcut) was downright vowellessly cheeky, if you ask me.

I had to look up ARO to make sense of why it means "feeling little to no amorous attraction".  Learn something new every day!

That's all I got.  See you tomorrow!

-philbo

(*) See What I Did There

No comments:

Post a Comment