Yesterday I mentioned the flexibility of the English language. Today we get a demonstration where the word CHILLING is interpreted three different ways: first as relaxing, as a BEACHBUM might do while idling along the seashore, second as making something grow colder, as one might do with an ICECREAMMAKER, and finally as sending an eerie feeling through your soul, as might occur while watching a TRUECRIMESHOW.
I did two of those three things while on vacation in Delaware last week! Well, I didn't make ice cream, but I certainly devoured it. I'll let you guess which of the other two I did.
I started out slow with 1A: What's paid (COST). I tried "bill" first, but ODIE put paid to that (see what I did there?). I had to fill in the rest of the corner to get the obvious answer. Sometimes you can overthink things, I suppose.
| MILNE |
Even in a Monday puzzle, you can find character and pizzazz in cluing. My two examples today are:
26D: First two syllables of "I am what I am," aptly (IAMB). Apt!
49A: Surgery that leaves the patient looking better? (LASIK). Hah!
Very nice Monday.
- Colum
No comments:
Post a Comment