Was it just me, or was Monday's crossword extra harmless today? (Exhibit 1 : "What a hen lays" (EGG).) A cute hidden-word-type theme, expressed in the Down answers: each of the four long answers contains a music genre, two in the downward direction, two upward (i.e. backwards). The revealer makes sense of this - "Uplifting tunes?..." (ELEVATORMUSIC), which describes those hidden words, going up and down. I like the punnish definition here, too, by the way. Couple of examples:
- 3D "Electric with excitement" = ALLATINGLE (downwards)
- 32D "Dive offering slices" = PIZZAJOINT (upwards)
I mentioned how easy the grid was in general, but that didn't stop me from blundering away. Right from the get-go, I put in EVADE instead of ELUDE for 1D "Deftly avoid". 65D "Kisses, symbolically" was XXX for a while until it was XES. Was "'Beats me!'" NOIDEA? Nope : NOCLUE. Scribbles abound on my printed copy, here!
Miscellaneous - I did not know aobut ODESSA's more modern spelling (ODESA, evidently)...Have you ever wondered how VINES find things to climb? Google it - I found it fascinating!...I suspect YOWZAH is one of those words whose spelling is whatever you need it to be...
See ya tomorrow!
-philbo

No comments:
Post a Comment