Thursday, September 3, 2026

Thursday, September 3, 2026, Zhou Zhang

Turns out I'm not very good at remembering to write these posts in the morning when I'm on service in the hospital! My apologies for the delayed review. We work hard to get these things out early so that people can refer to them if they so please. And I need yet another angry email from Horace like I need another hole in the head!

Just kidding. The emails are more disappointed than angry.

But speaking of holes in the head, the theme today is phrases with the word "hole" in them, but where the word is replaced with the letter O. To add to the complexity, the phrases refer to objects that can be found inside of the corresponding answer which contains the O in the across direction.

Sometimes I think explaining themes is more complex than practicing Neurology.

You see, 2D: Slangy "mouth" found in a 20-Across (PIEO) refers to a "piehole," which can be found inside 20A: Noodle (NOGGIN). Cleverly, 32A: School unit (CLASSROOM) contains both a CUBBYO and a OPUNCH. I particularly like that the two phrases start and end with "hole."

The other two are OCARDS, found in a POKERGAME, and MANO, found in a ROAD.

HYENACUB

For fun clues, we get 5A: She's possessive (HER) - very nice; 72A: Letters found near some bars (LTE) - that's on a cellphone, you see; and the vague 47D: 2, 4, 6 and 8, e.g. (AGES).

I do like me a tricksy Thursday.

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment