Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Wednesday, September 2, 2026, Mac Motz

Many merry manifestations made by Mac Motz!

Doesn't it feel like this should have been a Monday puzzle?

Likely inspired by his own name, Mr. Motz has created a puzzle where every clue has two words that start with the letter M, and four "theme" answers which are made of two word phrases both starting with M. The revealer is helpfully placed at 1A: "Melts in your mouth" candies ... or a hint to this puzzle's theme (MANDMS).

It's an incredible feat of construction, even if it doesn't necessarily translate into the most entertaining of themes. So, hats off to the constructor. I bow in respect.

SAM Cooke

I read an interesting web comic about one mother's reaction to J.K. Rowling and her anti-trans sentiments; to the point - what should a parent do when a child is interested in the Harry Potter series? I bring this up due to 38A, an excellent example of the double M clue and answer. In the end, her point was that we can be honest with our children and point them towards better fiction, and not continue to support the Pottermerch universe.

Meanwhile, I think we can still continue to support MICKEYMANTLE.

Great clue at 39D: Mild-mannered characteristic? (HYPHEN). Very nice.

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment