Monday, September 7, 2026

Tuesday, September 8 2026, Sunny Maharjan

At first, I was a bit mystified by Tuesday's puzzle.  One expects a theme on Tuesdays, and theme answers are the long ones, right?  But the grid is devoid of long entries - just one 9-letter and a couple of 8's.  What to do, but to just get down to it...

Easy going for the most part.  As a Canadian born in May, there were a few gimmes for me:  I do my part to make ONTARIO our most populous province; NOVA Scotia was easy, and despite my utter ignorance in most things jewelry-related, I do know my birthstone's an EMERALD.  (I will accept the misspelled LITERS for "Soda bottle units" 😁 )  

I blew through the central 9-letter entry, barely registering that it was the revealer : "CVS rival... something something about the perimeter", for which I had enough crossers to write in WALGREENS.  It was only after completing the puzzle and sitting back that I twigged to what was going on - the grid is entirely rimmed with types of green - a WALL of GREENS if you will:  JADE, PINE, SAGE, the aforementioned EMERALD, FOREST, MINT, LIME, MOSS, SEAFOAM and JUNGLE.  So neat!!  Once again quelling this vague feeling I get sometimes, that one of these days we're going to run out of themes.

With respect to the venerable MARTINI:  I have it on good authority that its preparation must involve stirring and not shaking, so as not to bruise the gin.  "But what if it's a vodka martini?" you ask.  To which I respond, the door's right over there...

Cheerio!

-philbo

No comments:

Post a Comment