Saturday, September 5, 2026

Saturday, September 5, 2026, Fritz Juhnke

Wait, what?

He's learned his lesson? He managed to get his review published in the morning? An old dog can learn new tricks, it turns out.

And what a fun Saturday. Easier for me than Friday's, but very enjoyable. It boasts four grid-spanners, which in time-honored fashion, I will now rank based on how much I personally liked them.

4. 12D: Primary follower (GENERALELECTION). A fine answer, with no trickiness to the clue.

3. 3D: Incident so dramatic it feels like a movie (HOLLYWOODMOMENT). A better phrase, with a clue that essentially gives it away.

2. 17A: Nay sayers (ALLTHOSEAGAINST). A nice clue, using a recognizable idiom in a literal way, and a good answer.

1. 63A: Sarcastic response to boasting (ARENTYOUSPECIAL). Just a great phrase.

LION Dance

I had any number of errors during the solve which slowed me down. I wanted ICEcAstlE instead of ICEPALACE. I had Ette at 62D: Diminishing return? (ECHO). I do like my answer, but it doesn't quite work ("ette" as a diminutive, you see). I had TErn instead of TEAL (which should have been more obvious with the clue).

I very much liked 52D: The sound that concludes "The Sound and the Fury" (LONGE). So good! Also, 16A: What you might hear when you get someone's goat? (BLEAT). Hah! Did you get 46A: Toy popularized by Queen Victoria, familiarly (POM)? Referring to the dog breed, Pomeranian.

Well, this was a fun week. Philbo, take it away!

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment