Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Wednesday, September 9 2026, Dario Salvucci

Ahoy mateys!  Today's crossword brings a bit of a nautical theme to the party.  Six clues - two across and four down - are italicized - and they clearly have something seaborne in common, each referring to something to with boats, or the water on which they float.  The Across answers were straightforward enough:

  • "Unsecured artillery that can slide across the deck" : LOOSECANNON
  • "Equatorial ocean area notorious for lack of winds" : THEDOLDRUMS

These are easily recognizable as non-nautical idioms.  Much less straightforward are the Down answers:

  • "Stand barefoot in formation along seams of deck planks" : TOETHELINE
  • "Drift with the natural flow of currents" : TIDEOVER
  • "Bosun's whistled call signaling a shift change" : PIPEDOWN
  • "Flattened against the masts in a changing wind" : TAKENABACK
Neat!  I didn't know the seafaring origins of any of these.  Love it when I come out of the other end of a crossword having learned something!  Incidentally, there is a revealer, dead centre in the grid : "Completely lost..." (ATSEA), identifying the literal origins of all these idioms.  I think we could almost get away without it.  What do you think?


What else did I make a note of... A couple of clever QMCs:  "Worker who's behind the Times?"  (EDITOR), and my favourite today for its cheekiness:  "Character in Monsters, Inc." (COMMA).  I liked the inventive cluing for OHIO ("Its three largest cities all have names starting with C").. 

Since when is a bug's ear CUTE?  Do bugs even have ears?  I think they have, like, sensors on their appendages or something.  And the hoary old standby EKED makes another guest appearance today..

On to Thursday!

-philbo


No comments:

Post a Comment