Monday, June 14, 2021

Monday, June 14, 2021, Andrea Carla Michaels and Doug Peterson

Today's puzzle offers five examples of how to GOYOUROWNWAY. You can eat CURDSANDWHEY, appreciate art by AIWEIWEI, and say ANCHORSAWEIGH en route to ZIMBABWE - all supporting the notion that there is no one true way. :) 

"Like Shakespeare's feet?" (IAMBIC) made me smile, as did the old chestnut, "Something you can always count on" (ABACUS). I find the expression "The ___ of one's existence" (BANE) crops up a lot in my life. 

WATUSI ("1960's dance craze") is a real blast from the past. Also from the past, but with more modern applications, we have Jules VERNE and UNIX. I like the term WIIMOTES. It works on so many levels. Fill-wise, ASWIRL, SNOOZE, and LAX are nice. 

10D: LADYDI

The clue "Place to be pampered" made me think of a Simpson's episode ("Fear of Flying") in which Bart is apparently unfamiliar with the word in the DAYSPA sense, and is concerned about getting wrapped up in the commercial product. 

The constructors and I come to a parting of the ways at GREW for "Increased, as the pot" but it didn't get in the way of enjoying the puzzle. 

~Frannie.

5 comments:

  1. Nice review Frannie! I got bollixed up at the other pot-related clue, entering RAISES instead of ADDSTO and in the ensuing mayhem, poof went my aspirations of finally cracking the 3 minute barrier on one of these Monday puzzles. I was pleased to see UNIX in there. I am a UNIX wizard, as it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see if your UNIX wizardry helps you with Tuesday's puzzle... :)

      Delete
  2. Perhaps I'm not as up on beer making as I thought, because I don't remember being talking about how they are about to make a BREW of stout or whatever. Maybe they just say "batch" or maybe I just haven't been on as many brewery tours as I like to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on this use of BREW, Jim. I thought it was odd.

      Delete
  3. Nice enough theme; I mean, you have to have something, right? Always good to have AXES in there referenced properly with something we all love: graphs. BANE is excellent, SARAH was my favorite "Doctor Who" companion (until Amy Pond, that is; I'm torn now), and I've been trying to get more OKRA into my diet. Unlike Philbo, I'm not worried so much about a sub-three. My time on this one was 5:05.

    ReplyDelete