Monday, June 21, 2021

Monday, June 21, 2021, Jacob Stulberg

Good morning! Just to wrap up yesterday's events, I had an unknown destination for dinner planned - turns out it was Andrew's Burger Shack, in Slingerlands, New York. Outdoor eating on a lovely night, typical diner food (burger, onion rings, shake). Sad to have to say goodbye to Phoebe, but so lovely to have had the weekend with both girls and our family whole under one roof again.

I solved today's puzzle last night, in order to get the review out on an early basis. The theme is nicely done, especially since I understand it's tricky getting 14-letter answers into grids, and this one has four of them. The revealer comes at 52A: "Let's put things into perspective" ... or a title for this puzzle (ITSALLRELATIVE). Each of the other three theme answers are of the form ____ER than ____. They're all fine examples of the form. I've always liked HOLIERTHANTHOU as a phrase. Although I don't really use it all that often, come to think of it. I'm sure there are plenty of other phrases that could work, but these are three good ones.

LOBES

There was some difficulty getting started, which is unusual for a Monday. I put AMBLE and UTAH in off the clue, then got ADDUP and ENS. But I had to think a bit to get other answers, especially with the __DT___ at 5D. I did not expect to see PADTHAI there, but it's a great entry.

The rest of the puzzle was more in line with a typical Monday. Answers I enjoyed include GLUG, and CHEF and YUM so near to each other. I guess we're never likely to see the end of OGLE in the puzzle, but I think today's clue is inapt for the creepiness associated with the word.

It's a fine Monday. 3:04.

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. And the quest for the sub-3:00 Monday continues, thanks to BIGGERTHANLIFE (why, Phil? why??) I thought the theme was fun and straightforward and the whole puzzle was a pleasant solve, in 3 minutes minus negative 16 seconds. Until next Monday, NYT, until next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice times, you two. My own was a more pedestrian, if you will, 5:35. I'm married to a LIBRA, so nice to see that in there. I guess OGLE implies a little more than "Gawk at," but it's OKAYS. I never loved a RITZ, but some do. They are quite buttery, as I recall. Nice enough puzzle, but the theme wasn't really glowing, IMO.

    ReplyDelete