Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wednesday, July 2, 2013, Pamela Klawitter

0:19:15

I kind of liked this theme of store varieties being circled in the corners. It seems a little unusual to me, but it's not very obtrusive.

The grid had some clunkers like ENSILES (24A: Preserves on a farm), AGLARE (49D: Shining brightly), SLIER (54A: More guileful), and YSHAPE (45D: What a slingshot or a wishbone has), and there was more ISA, ABAT, ULT and ATOR than there really ought to be. Also, Jim Beam is a bourbon, not a rye whiskey.

I liked 21A: Vandyke locale (CHIN), and the puzzle did have both TAL and AFB, so that's cool.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. 25:27
    I was able to finish this one before work last Wednesday on the computer. I'd have thought that ENSILES would be more like "Store on a farm" as opposed to "Preserves...." Hmmm...I didn't notice the TAL and AFB. Very nice. I didn't mind YSHAPE, but since it crossed with SADSONG that held me up a bit. I wonder what percentage of individuals now have ever heard a DIALTONE?

    ReplyDelete