Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday, Jul 1, 2013, Patrick McIntyre

0:09:53

Nice theme of SHOWDOWNS (21 Decisive confrontations ... or what the answers to the six starred clues are?), or "shows" that run "down" in the grid. Seven theme answers - eight(!) if you count the bonus ACTS (38D: Parts of musicals). That's kind of a lot of theme material, which is great, but the fill is less than sparkling. Well, it's not universally bad, by any stretch, but I might be over-sensitive to things like EAVED (59A: Having a roof overhang), TMS (20A: Regd. names), OHO (47A: "Well, looky here!"), and YOO (48A: "____-hoo!"). And sometimes on Monday the clues are just so ridiculous. Witness 71A: Car gear for backing up (REVERSE). That word is worthy of a more interesting, late-week clue. Sigh. And how 'bout 36A: The second "W" of W.W. II ? For whom is that not a gimme? Well... I suppose on Monday you need a few gimmes...

It's nice, on the other hand, to see LYNN (58A: ____ Swann, Super Bowl X M.V.P.) and SHACKLE (7A: Prisoner's leg restraint) and TROMPE (1D: ____ l'oeil (optical illusion)) are both fun words. And it's kind of interesting (to me) that the frequently-seen ETA received a clue I've not seen before - 5D: Announcement over a plane's P.A. I also liked the clue for BRAT (39D: Baby sitter's headache). And who doesn't love being reminded of SATYRS (74A: Lecherous goat-men)?

I sat down to write today thinking that I would slam this puzzle, but after doing the writing, and reviewing it once more, I have decided that it was AOK for a Monday.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. 13:03
    Well I thought this one was fine. I liked the theme, and even though there was a good amount of gimmes, there was plenty to keep me on my toes, like STEELER, SATYRS and TARHEEL, none of which I think of too much on a regular basis.

    I'm still working on Sunday (almost done after 1:25:55) and Friday (~2/3 finished).

    ReplyDelete