OHHI. Frannie here, ONLINE once again with the Saturday puzzle review.
Since there's no theme today, I thought it would be best if I HADALISP of clues and answers I liked, so here goes:
- Opposite of downs (SIPS) - this meaning of 'down' gets me every time.
- Modern test subject (DNA) - a nice, open-to-multiple-interpretations (OTMI (tm)) clue.
- Org. concerned with cracking and leaking had me thinking EPA at first, but no, NSA! So many orgs...
- Breath-taking experience (SLEEPAPNEA) - aptnea!
- Quaint retort (TISNT) - I'll be using this one tonight at the 1920's-themed party we're attending at a local art museum.
- "Jeannie out of the Bottle" memoirist (BARBARAEDEN) - who doesn't dream of Jeannie?
- Changes keys? (ISLANDHOPS) - indeed.
I struggled a bit in the south east where I had trouble piecing together how to connect PIE with DEAR and figuring out what either one had to do with "Spot for a stud"(PIERCEDEAR). Derp. ERMA didn't help.
Clues that caused me to say to myself, ITSODD, were CADENCED (In rhythm) and GASTAP. I've never heard of a gas tap. I tried GASTAx [SIC] at first, which I thought could function as one kind of control, but POI, was I off base.