Thursday, February 9, 2023

Thursday, February 9, 2023, Alex Rosen

Well, today's puzzle definitely counts as a trick puzzle. To reveal the revealer, you must first solve the puzzle (or at least part of it). It appears in two parts, one in the top left the other in the bottom right: REVERSEEACH TWOWORDCLUE. While I didn't, strictly speaking, need the revealer to solve the puzzle, I did need it to understand some of the answers. TRIPOD for "Mount Olympus" didn't really makes sense until I read it as Olympus [camera] mount. Although, I suppose, you could read it in the original direction with a hard pause: Mount, Olympus, like a data entry field. Maybe that's just me. :)

One tricksy element of the puzzle is that it applies only to certain clues, making it more difficult to guess. Using my "crossword brain" (with which I can justify almost any C/AP!) I could make sense of many of these clues without the reversal, but they do make a lot MORE sense when the clue words are read right to left. :) 

Here are some of my favorites:
"Firm fruit" (DOLE)
"Cuts short" (BOBS)
"Water buffalo" (ERIE) - should 'buffalo' be capitalized here, or am I missing something?
"Job bank" (HEIST
"Does not" (BUCKS) - I especially enjoyed the re-parsing required by this one!!
"Giant storybook" (OGRE)
"Part IV" (TUBE) - another one that was tough to get even my crossword brain around until I both reversed the clue AND changed IV (the Roman numeral 4) to IV (short for intravenous)!
"Pan Asian" (WOK) - Ha!

37D: ALP

As if all of the clever contortions above weren't enough, the constructor gets some other good material in here. C/APs I especially liked are "No soft serve" (ACE), "Wasn't, then was" (BECAME), "Went to third, say" (SHIFTED), and "Pelts" for FURS. There was some great fill, too, including CABARETS, EXCUSE, CASPAR, VISOR, RAPIER, and SPINDLE

That's it for me today. See you on the flip side.

~Frannie.

6 comments:

  1. Really nice job, I think. Simple, and simply elegant. I got the trick, partially, before unearthing the reveal, at DOLE. Then when I learned that *each* two-word clue should be reversed, that made the solve even easier. Frannie, I think the constructor should get a pass on the l.c. "buffalo" in the clue. By reversing it, the word -- by default -- gets a cap B as the first word in the clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point about the Buffalo clue, Kelly. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing puzzle. And the lengths the constructor (and the editing team) had to go to in order to make non-theme clues either one word or more than one word, like "Sound of impact" or "Cold Asian desert." Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun one! My favorite clue might have been "Only human, briefly" for ADAM. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked RAPIER too. No matter how many times I told myself that RAzor is the wrong number of letters, it was slow to sink in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wish my brain had a better ‘auto-count’ feature for letters and squares. :|

      Delete