Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Tuesday, February 21, 2023, Daniel Raymon

Pretty neat to find three HIDDEN AGENDAS in these theme answers:

HAAGENDAZS
VOLKSWAGENDASHER
MAGENDAVID

I haven't thought about the VW Dasher for a long time. I read that from the start the same exact car was sold as the Passat in Europe, but it had to go through the name "Quantum" in the 80s before it finally became a Passat over here, too.

MIAHAMM

And as for MAGENDAVID, I first heard of this long ago in a song on Dr. Demento - "The Ballad of Irving." It's a really terrible song, but in it, Irving is described as having a "mogan david" on his vest. Until this day, I don't think I ever knew what that was. (And p.s. I just read that the "mogan" spelling is Yiddish.) There are many things like that that I heard on Monty Python, or in some song, that only later rezzed into focus for me. Like hearing, when I was about seven, in the "Australian table wines" sketch - "real emetic fans will also go for a 'Hobart Muddy'..." It would be years before I learned what the word "emetic" meant, and then the skit got even funnier. 

There were a lot of things in The Pirates of PENZANCE that I wouldn't have known, but my father explained them all to us before we went to see the shows. Even that famous line from the Major-General's song, "You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee," which is just a fancy way of saying that he rode on one of those "beings animalculous." Heh.

Anywaaayyyyyy... let's get back to the puzzle. I like the word ARRANT (Unmitigated). The "Headliner" (LEAD) and "High-maintenance headliner" (DIVA) pairing was fun. Everyone enjoys a double ENTENDRE (DEEPSIGH), "Amass a mass" is a lovely clue for HOARD, and, well, there's a lot of good stuff here. The week is starting out well.

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. For me it was finished with one error on..... oh this is going to be embarrasing at least if you are comparing me with anyone who knows, well, much of anything about movies..... but it was on CAPRi crossed with IRINi.

    If they had clued LEAR with the king rather than the jet it would have been a nice mini-themer with ENID (well if we count British literature or the like as a category).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is Jim Kingdon. I'm afraid my participation in this blog has been a little sparse as of late but hope to see some of you at the ACPT.

      Delete