Saturday, July 29, 2023

Saturday, July 29, 2023, Sam Ezersky

OK ... yesterday I bragged a little about finishing quickly. Not so today! Although admittedly I was a little distracted because while I was solving I was following an online auction that was being conducted in Dutch ... but whatever excuses I might throw up, for a little while I was in PANIC mode thinking IGOTNOTHIN

DISCS

I think the first big break I got was FRIGIDAIRE (Cool brand to have in the kitchen), and I had guessed TONKA (Truck maker since 1947), so that led to BANKCARD (Precious plastic), but even when that whole corner was done, I thought of Colum when the only way into the center was the still-unsolved 27A. 

Speaking of, nice use of Qs in this grid. In the first instance, it is used both ways without a U, in QTIP (Canal implement) (not "lock"!) and QRCODE (Element of many modern ads). The second use is more standard, with QUITEBAD (Not just subpar) and QUASH (Shut down), and in the third place, it is in the middle of BEQUEATH (Pass on) (nice), and at the end of MEMPHISBBQ (Some slow-cooked Southern fare, informally). 

And finally, at the end of the review, I'll praise the very beginning of the puzzle. Both CAMELHUMPS (These don't hold water) and AREYOUHIGH ("What?! That's absurd!") are excellent. Also, the misdirection in "Song in mariachi?" (ARIA), and the related clue "Met highlight" (GALA) were great. 

A fine, tricky Saturday. Thanks, Mr. Ezersky, may I have another?

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. CAMEL HUMPS don't hold water??? No, they do not. I just looked up CAMEL in the dictionary and those humps hold fat reserves that the camel calls on to substitute for food and/or drink. I did NOT know that! Fun puzzle...glad to see QRCODE finally in a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete