Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Wednesday, July 19, 2023, Billy Bratton

Spotlight on this new variety of clue: I see in our glossary that we've taken to calling them "false imperative clues," or FIC, for short. And you can see why. It seems like you're being told to do something, but really, it's just a straight definition of the answer.

For example, 17A: Deal with it! (DECKOFCARDS) - seems like you're being exhorted to figure out how to accept the facts, but instead it's the answer to the question, "What should I do with this thing with 52 rectangular pieces of cardboard with funny shapes and pictures printed on one side?" 

You know. That question we've all asked at one point or another in our lives.

All four theme answers take the same form of [imperative][with it][!]. I love 43A: Get on with it! (BOARDINGPASS). "Um, miss? What am I supposed to do with this slip of paper, now that I'm standing next to this large multi-vehicled mode of transportation?" The whole concept is delightfully absurd.

Perhaps these answers are loaded with a touch of SARCASM...

SITAR

Nice callback to yesterday's puzzle at 1D: Ruler of a mythological underworld (HADES). Can't cross that with Pluto, as it turns out. 

Is it possible that 35A: Jennings of "Jeopardy" (KEN) is actually a tie-in with this weekend's blockbuster opening movie? Yes, I'm referring to Oppenheimer. JK.

I love OHWOEISME, and 10D: Creator of a spread (BOOKMAKER) is a fun bit of misleading cluing. I don't love IMEANTHAT (I can't really imagine the circumstances where you'd say it that way. Wouldn't it be "I meant it?") Otherwise, it's a fun puzzle, setting us up for the Turn!

- Colum

1 comment:

  1. Hah! FICs FTW! Pretty good set. I lol'd.

    My sister has started playing BASS, and she sings "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'," so that was nice.

    ReplyDelete