Sunday, July 16, 2023

Sunday, July 16, 2023, Michael Schlossberg

THE GAME IS AFOOT

Hey everyone! It feels like years since I last blogged (it was a month). Thanks to Philbo for his excellent blogging this past week. 

I’m having a relaxing weekend at our friends’ lake house in the Catskills, at Lake Wanaksink. I love that name. It is amusing that the K is silent. In any case, this morning’s puzzle was equally relaxing, as opposed to yesterday’s challenge!

The theme is finding different ways to interpret the names for varieties of footwear, with clever puns and wacky clues. Here is my ranking of the theme answers:

1. 23A: Fresh pair of loafers? (BEAVISANDBUTTHEAD). What a great way to start the puzzle! 

2. 46A: Slip before putting on a boot? (PARKINGTICKET) - so clever!

3. 95A: Custom fitted pumps? (ARTIFICIALHEARTS) - so true.

4. 112A: 1970s-era sneakers? (WATERGATEBURGLARS). Reminds me of the movie “Sneakers,” an old favorite.

5. 67A: Noted name in clogs? (LIQUIDPLUMR). A little ding for the brand name.

6. 38A: Forerunners of flip-flops? (CAMPAIGNPROMISES) - don’t remind me.

7. 83A: Collectors of moccasins? (SNAKEHANDLERS). Somebody has to come in last.

A couple of C/APs I liked: 17D: Networker? (GOALIE) - just finished the last season of Ted Lasso. Perhaps the constructor was thinking of ice hockey, but I thought of soccer. 106A: What a doll! (KEN). The Barbie movie is coming out soon, too.

EAGLE reminds me that Hope always texts me when she’s traveling somewhere to let me know that “the Eagle has landed.” And finally, Wilford BRIMLEY was a favorite of Horace’s brother, so let’s raise a glass to the mustached scene-chewer.

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment