Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Wednesday, November 6, 2019, Ross Trudeau

12:29

I like today's theme because it works beautifully on two levels. TRIPLEX (Three-screen cinema) and "a hint to 17-, 26-, 46-, and 61- Across", Triple X, with the theme answers supplying the triple X's, as in "Raciest classification" (XXXRATING). And how about the name BUBBASPARXXX? Frances just seems so lackluster in comparison.

The down clues that cross the triple X's hold up pretty well - especially THEXPRIZE, HOAX,  and ELIXIR -  until you get to the southeast. XCI and XED ARENT extraordinary, but, to be fair, there isn't much room under the XXXLSHIRT to get a lot done. 

I think I ZEE a little eXtra bonus theme material in the grid including CRUDE, HOT, EDGIER, XOX, PET, and TITANS. Too much?
PLATH

CHUM is a great word. And I learned a new expression: ICEIT apparently means "Seal the deal" - who knew? And, just FYI, I prefer NTH to ETC, as an "Unspecified series ender." There, I said it.

~FranceXXX.

2 comments:

  1. 15:29 (FWOE)
    I like the extra bonus material; it isn't too much at all. My error came at the PLIE/XXXLSHIRT, where I entered a "t" without checking the down cross, where, if I had, I'd have noted that PtIE is not a word in any language. ABUJA wasn't known to me (and probably still isn't) as the capital of Nigeria, and thankfully the crosses were there for the CS of CSMAJOR (TOSCA and SUPERBOWLXXX), otherwise that entry would've been a problem. Finally, and sadly, I'd never heard of ARANTXA Sanchez Vicario, even though the person is in a hall of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7:14

    I was not previously aware of BUBBASPARXXX, but yes, that's quite a name, and I misspelled ARANTXA briefly... until I realized what the theme was. She was playing back when I actually watched tennis, but I guess I never saw her name spelled out.

    Fun Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete