Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thursday, July 31, 2014, Jill Denny and Jeff Chen

0:28:38

It took us a while to figure this one out, but I feel it was worth the wait. We filled in all rebuses ([SPACE]), but I'm hoping that leaving the boxes unfilled will also work. If one of you tries that, let me know.

When I got to 10A: Captain played by Patrick Stewart (AHAB), I thought for sure that it would be "Picard," and that there was a rebus afoot, but I'm guessing that's exactly what they wanted me to think! Pretty tricky!

The fill started out tough, with the unknown (to me) LOEB (1A: Financial writer Marshall) and ANDREA (9D: Bargnani of the N.B.A.) (ditto), and went through some rough spots, like EARBOB (25A: Dangling piece of jewelry) (ok, ok, it's probably fine). I actually liked DEUS (46A: Mars, e.g.), but Frannie thought it a little "de trop."

Horizontal symmetry always looks a little funny, but it's not that bad.

There's more I should say, but I'm on a tight schedule today, so you'll have to look to our astute commenters for more about this enjoyable start to the Turn.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. 2:01:49
    Oddly, I seem to be the first to comment! I started this puzzle before the ME week, and worked on it sporadically since then, carefully keeping track of my time. I figured out the rebus early, but had an amazing amount of trouble with the rest of the fill, mainly the NE (although I figured out AHAB quickly), the NW (never heard of LOEB either, and wasn't thinking of an EAVE as a shade provider), and the middle (STARWARSCANTINA(?), plus USURER took awhile). DEUS and LESSENS also came slowly. Anyway, I hate to give up on a puzzle, so I didn't. I've got a few more puzzles on which to make comments now: 8/29, 8/30, 9/1, 9/2 and 9/3.

    ReplyDelete