Saturday, July 10, 2021

Saturday, July 10, 2021, Trenton Charlson

Tough but fun puzzle today for this solver. I completed the grid in exactly 34 minutes, but was informed by the app at that time that I had a FWOE. Two minutes and nine seconds later, I found the problem. I had made a CARELESSMISTAKE. I entered LaU instead of LSU ("Sch. whose yearbook is the 'Gumbo'"). I couldn't check the answer with the Across answer because I'm not familiar with the "Mischievous character in West African folklore, ANANSITHESPIDER. Horace said he knew LSU from sports. Sigh.

But, there's more to celebrate than regret. For one thing, I completed the puzzle - an outcome which seemed doubtful at best after a first pass. As soon as I saw the three grid-spanners at the top of the puzzle, I switched to the Down clues, of which I got maybe a handful right off. 

Many times I was misled. Early on, I had the UNION of COMMUNIONWAFERS, but thanks to the trixy clue "Hosts", I took a wrong road with the idea of reUNION, etc. In other spots I correctly assessed the trick of the clue, but I managed to find another answer that fit both the clue and the number of squares, but was still wrong. At 1D, for "Computer store" I thought, aha! CDROM. But that did not compute. The answer was CACHE. "Snarl" for ENMESH and "Two in a row, say?" for TIFF were also nice and tricky."Total package?" (CEREAL) with its hidden capital was also very clever.

20A: FLO

I thought all the long answers were good. Of the southern set, I liked FEASTONESEYESON the best. Clues I especially liked were "Part of mayo that's most popular?" CINCO - ha! - "Block letters?" (SPF) and "Starts of hedges" (ERS) were also good. My favorite clue was "Will can change it" (TENSE) - who doesn't love a crafty grammar clue? 

Overall, a very enjoyable puzzle with lots of great clues that leave just enough room for misinterpretation to allow the hapless solver to come up with their own PRIVATEENTRANCE. :) 

~Frannie.

4 comments:

  1. Delightful puzzle! I had THE SPIDER before the ANANSI part, but the crosswords helped me spell the name correctly. Loved all the clues. I maybe woulda preferred FEAST YOUR EYES ON rather than the ONE'S but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I thought that was the toughest challenge in a while! Trenton Charlson was the setter of puzzle #5 at the latest NYTCT, am I remembering right? So tough but so fair. The whole grid just kind of gradually came into focus. I had no idea on the ANANSI one.. got that one 100% on the crossers. 17:05 for me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think Mr. Charlson was competing in the tournament. He's the one who stopped by to say hi in the "room" we were in.

      I plodded along at first, but found some traction and finished in 12:55.

      Delete
  3. This was a total plod for me. I just finished it after starting and stopping several times over the last few days. It took a total solve time of just under an hour! (59:40) That hasn't happened in a long time. Oddly, I see the stacks and get pumped, but ANANSITHESPIDER had me miffed, and many of the downs were downright tricky, so there wasn't a great deal of help, at least quick help. I had to DIGDEEP for a few of the answers, like ODAMAE, which was LOSTTO me at first. And then some of the double-lettered downs, like RAMMED, RAGGED and TIFF took a couple of crosses and/or inspiration. Not many GIVENS in the grid, but no errors for me, which is nice. Excellent that we have a PRIVATEENTRANCE and ANOUT. Sadly, I have employed the SILENTTREATMENT on rare occasion, but ISWEAR I'll try to get better; there's certainly ROOM for improvement there. Odd to see the singular ARREAR. CINCO was my favorite clue/answer.

    ReplyDelete