Thursday, October 14, 2021

Thursday, October 14, 2021, Matt Fuchs

Why is it that swearing can be so funny? Yesterday I mentioned a t-shirt that only hinted at a swear, and it got a laugh. Perhaps that's the trick - to work the edges of profanity, as with the theme answers today. They could be read as completely normal phrases, but when clued to force the first word into a mild oath, they become amusing. Well, at least to me. 

TREVI fountain

When I figured out the first one, BLOODYNOSE ("My allergies are really acting up!"), I thought they might all be Britishisms, but I was quickly disabused of that notion by FREAKINGOUT ("That third strike cost us the game!"). 

This isn't a debut, but it's been seven years since Mr. Fuchs' last published puzzle, and my review of that one included a diatribe about salad dressing. Sorry, Matt. This time, I'll focus more on the fill, which I very much enjoyed. 

For starters, I thought the four outside Downs were all good - LABMICE (Maze runners) (LABrats also fits...), TOASTER (Glass elevator?) (Nice QMC!), CARWASH (Business that offers body waxing) (Nice Non-QMC!), and STIRFRY. Everybody likes STIRFRY! :) 

Aside from the humorous theme, we've also got "Q: How much does it cost to park at stadiums? A: ____" (ALOT). Hah! It would have been great if, instead of "Hoard," "What did it cost Henry IV to become king of France?" was used to clue AMASS. (He famously converted to Catholicism to win the acceptance of the Catholic-controlled city of Paris when he ascended to the throne, saying "Paris vaut une messe" or, "Paris is worth a mass.")

Other nice clues included "It may be on the house" (LIEN), "Stand by the pool, maybe" (TIKIBAR), and "Run for fun, perhaps" (TYPO). I had "Trot" in for that last one for quite some time!

A fun Thursday, and a great start to The Turn!

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. Whee, great puzzle and I laughed out loud as I solved it. DARN SOCKS is something I actually say a lot on wash days (I only just now realized that I unintentionally make a joke when I say it). Terrific fun...and count me among those who at first put LAB RATS in, but that was easily fixed.

    ReplyDelete