Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Wednesday, October 27, 2021, Johanna Fenimore

SNL, that stalwart crossword entry, gets more expansive coverage today with five quotes from the show:

DAAAAABEARS - (1991-1992)
SCHWEDDYBALLS - (1998)
WERENOTWORTHY - (first aired in 1988-1989 season)
MORECOWBELL - (2000)

And all are anchored with the central LIVEFROMNEWYORK. It's a solid theme, and all quotes were instantly recognizable to this solver and erstwhile late-night TV watcher. 

Mel BLANC

One major change that the pandemic has brought to this household is an earlier bedtime. Before it, Frannie and I would be out two or three nights per week, always getting home after midnight on at least one of them. Today, we're often brushing our teeth at 10pm. Sure, it's nice to get a little more sleep, but last weekend, for example, we missed seeing Jason Sudekis and Brandi Carlile on SNL because we just can't stay up to watch it anymore. Sigh.

I did not love IMPULSION (Strong urge), wanting either "impulse" or "compulsion" instead, and WRAPSKIRT (Sarong, for one) seemed a little off somehow. Do people say "wrap skirt?" We've got INA and ANO and IIS and OLA, not to mention IOS and FEU and EST and IWO, which might be ONE too many SOSO three-letter entry. 

I chuckled thinking about the old sketches, and I smiled when I got BAAED (Made ewe cry?) at the end, but I think maybe this one will be most well-liked by devotees of the show, rather than by pure crossword fans.

- Horace


6 comments:

  1. Great review, Horace! As for the late-night thing, my wife and I are in the exact same boat, so we just PVR it and watch it the next day. I find SNL very hit-and-miss these days, but Brandi Carlile *killed*, especially her first number.

    This was pretty easy for a Wednesday. I crushed it in 3:37 and didn't even notice IMPULSION and WRAPSKIRT (klunky, I agree) as they were filled in entirely from the crossers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Thank you for that terrific picture of Mel BLANC and friends. A pal has a poster on his wall that was made shortly after Mr. Blanc died...all those characters weeping, with the caption: "We have no words."

    I haven't seen SNL in EONS. But both WRAP SKIRT and IMPULSION played okay with me. Philbo...3:37??? Yikes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely helped that I could just write in the long answers immediately. Except for the first one. I feel like all those 'A's are a bit of a cheat (could have been any number of them)...

      Delete
    2. Kelly - somewhere among my possessions I have a copy of that photograph that was signed by the man himself when my father took me to see him speak at a college in Worcester. :)

      Delete
    3. I love this! Do you know, Horace? While he wasn't a "close friend" ... I had the privilege of knowing him, or at least meeting him. I used to hang out with a bunch of "old radio fans" -- Ken "Muck" Meyer was one. Thank you!

      Delete
    4. Wow! Brush with greatness alert, right here on our little blog.

      Delete