Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Wednesday, October 6, 2021, Jules Markey

No worms today for this reviewer - apologies for the late review, Dear Readers! Unfortunately, I was [COO]ped up at in the office all day and at class in the evening.

A fun rebus with four grid squares serving as PIGEONHOLES into which the letters [COO] are stuffed. I figured out the rebus when I got to 23D: "Rockefeller or Getty" (OILTY[COO]N). My favorite was S[COO]CHED, although MEWANT[COO]KIE is also pleasing. For some reason, I'm all about possible bonus theme material this week. What do you say to EGGON for today'? 

I felt like a bit of a bird brain when I wanted COMANECI for "Gymnast on Time's August 2, 1976, cover with the headline 'She's perfect'), but couldn't see how CAN could work for "Pokey" - thinking of it meaning slow. Suddenly, the key turned in the lock, and I remembered the other meaning of Pokey. Cuckoo!

43A: LYRA

This puzzle dove right into the good stuff. My favorite clue 1A: "Animal that's also a plant?" (MOLE) - ha! I also enjoyed "Current event?" (ELNINO) and "Award for a great play" (ESPY). Not to crow or anything, but I was happy to guess IDES off the clue, "Follower of the calends and the nones." Fill-wise, ASKANCE, DANGLE, DOCILE, and ANORAK and were the starlings of the day.

There were quite a few "birds of a feather" stuck together - if you will - in the form of numerous crosswords standbys like NOH, OTT, ESSE, IRK, and EKE, but no real caws for alarm. Overall, thought, I think it showed a lot of talon. :)

~Frannie.

3 comments:

  1. It is not in MYNAture to be PUFFIN up your ego, Frannie, but you have every reason to CROW about this review. very EMUsing! I took my time and FINCHED up in EGGSactly 7:06.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. After reading you two guys, I forgot what I was going to write! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's some nice work, Frannie and Philbo! :)

    ReplyDelete