Friday, March 18, 2022

Friday, March 18, 2022, Claire Rimkus and Brooke Husic

You know when you are so certain about an answer that you leave it in place far beyond any reasonable time, only to finally admit that it must be wrong and take it out, and then the whole corner falls into place in seconds?

Not that I'm talking from personal experience or anything.

So, 2D: Key for a trumpet. How many of us put in bfLat? Only me? Dang... The answer, of course, was VALVE. That was the last answer I entered into the puzzle. After it being the first, as well...

The rest of the puzzle wasn't so crazy hard for me. I broke in with EYES, ONLY, and SLO, and then 37A: Not exactly a priority (ONTHEBACKBURNER) fell into place. I had some difficulty in the center of the puzzle because I wanted 26D: "Tell me about it!" (ICANRELATE) to start with something like "I'm all..." It took too long (once again) to give up on the M.

I liked 29D: Exchange words (WANNATRADE) - the first word here is adjectival, rather than a verb. The things you can do in English!

Other clues I enjoyed:

18A: Like the more interesting twin, some would say (EVIL). Did not see that coming.

58A: Sum preceder (ERGO).

60A: Shortening in a recipe (TSP) - hah!

I'll also take a moment to lend my support to two music related clues and answers here: the musical "Come From Away" is a great show (in one ACT), with an uplifting message about the kindness of humanity, a necessary message in these latter days. And I really enjoy the music of Dua LIPA.

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. I followed a similar path, Colum! I figured the trumpet key would be something-FLAT and that stuck in there for quite a while. And I unthinkingly put ANITA in there instead of JOYCE, which seems silly in retrospect. Not my finest moment - but very rewarding in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally with you, Colum. Dropped bfLat in and felt like all those years in band were really paying off... sigh.

    ReplyDelete