Saturday, March 5, 2022

Saturday, March 5, 2022, Nam Jin Yoon

An unusual diagonal symmetry today that makes the black squares look a little like a rocket ship exiting to the upper left. No? Just me?

Got off to a good start by getting MOSS (Much of Iceland's greenery) and PROVEIT ("I don't believe you") off the clues, and ended up finishing in well under half of yesterday's time. Crisis averted! :)

I laughed when I got to LEAS (Green lands), because just yesterday Amy Reynaldo, in her blog post (Diary of a Crossword Fiend), said "Stop trying to make 'lea' happen." Heh. FORGETABOUTIT. And I enjoyed being reminded of the "Fictional [and usually non-functional] device in which to convey secret information" (CONEOFSILENCE). Did that exist before Get Smart?

Best clue - "Halter?" (SENTRY) That's excellent. "Contracting sheet" for ICECAP would be good too, if it weren't so sad.

I wanted STingY so much that I actually considered alternates for TYRANNY (Rule to take exception to), but once I had ADMIT (Allow), I had to ADMIT STURDY was correct for "Unlikely to tip."

Fun clues, interesting grid - I give it a NOD.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. What a beaut! At first I thought I was going absolutely nowhere (because that's exactly where I was going!) before finally cracking OLAF, LOVE POEM, and DALLOWAY. Clueing is amazing, entries are fantastic -- love it!

    ReplyDelete