Monday, March 14, 2022

Monday, March 14, 2022, Stephen Hiltner

I'm glad this puzzle came on a Monday, because half of the theme answers were completely unknown to me. I never watched any of Family Matters, Full House, or Home Improvement. Thankfully, the crosses were straightforward. The idea of FREDROGERS having a neighborhood of these particular characters is mildly amusing, and I appreciate any homage paid to this particular hero of my own childhood.

CYNICS might point to the middle west and say that this debut constructor is hoping for a RAVE rather than for me to say I HATED it. And I will not opt for the latter. It's a fine puzzle, well constructed, with a theme that has no resonance for me. 

Half of WILSONWILSON?

My favorite answer came at 40D: Some rodeo riders (COWGIRLS) - it's a nice gender checking twist. 

Otherwise I don't have much to add. I'm on vacation this week, and so I'm hoping to get my reviews out nice and early. 

Happy Pi Day, everyone!

- Colum

4 comments:

  1. Ditto, same and echo your sentiments, Colum! It was clear very early on that the theme answers weren't going to jump out, so I just let the crossers fill them in. Puzzle was fine, while not doing much for me. 2:47

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Mr. Rogers. I didn't know any of the others, and felt kind of odd calling my hero "FRED" rather than "Mister."

    ReplyDelete