Sunday, March 27, 2022

Sunday, March 26, 2022, August Lee-Kovach

I'M STILL STANDING

Not I.

I'm curious to know how many of you knew the name KHUFU (This puzzle's subject). Me, I didn't. I know him only as CHEOPS.

I now see that in the web version, at least, each block of KHUFU is numbered, and you are supposed to transpose the letters from the puzzle into the crypt. Great. If you're trying to teach us this obscure name, why not just fill it in for us, or include it in the puzzle in a normal way so we can get it with crosses.

Did not like.

- Horace

3 comments:

  1. I did not. I just wildly guessed EGYPT before collecting myself and doing the transcription like I was supposed to.

    Sometimes I find the Sunday puzzles to be a bit of a slog. Lots and lots and lots of typing. I didn't hate this but I didn't love it either. 13:25

    ReplyDelete
  2. FWOE. Plus I cheated with KHUFU. I looked it up. Mea culpa! :-) Still some nice fill, like RENT TO OWN, and DOWN PAT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an issue with the clue "Pass it on" - which I initially filled in as "Give.'

    The answer, it turns out, is "Gene."

    I see that connection, but my issue is that "Pass it on" is a verb phrase, whereas "Gene" is a noun.

    If the clue had been "Something you pass on," then I'd accept that. Plus it would have the cool, tricky double-meaning of "Something you decline" - like, "Do you want a drink?" "No, I'll pass."

    Or is there another way of looking at the Gene answer?

    ReplyDelete