Friday, March 25, 2022

Friday, March 25, 2022, Evans Clinchy

omnia vincit amor et nos cedamus amori

"LOVECONQUERSALL, so let us yield to love." Nice entry, but odd in juxtaposition, as it is, with LEADADOUBLELIFE

On the bottom, HATERSGONNAHATE matches much better with OVEROPINIONATED. Not that these grid-spanning entries have to match up, because as Mr. Clinchy says, this puzzle is not THEMED (Like many crossword puzzles (though not this one)). 

ISIS

Still, one tends to group things when one can. Like the Latin reference above and the word NISI (Unless, to a lawyer). I think of NISI more as "except," as in De mortuis nihil nisi bonum dicendum est, but then, the words except and unless are close, and I am not a laywer.

And speaking of close - I suppose the word "autocamp," whatever that is, is supposed to lead us to choose MOTEL instead of hotel for "Alternative to an autocamp," because we get no help from the Down - "Speakers' hesitations," which could be either UhS or UMS

Funny clue for ISLE (Man is one), because, well, "No man" is also one. Heh. And I loved the literalness of "Really dig" (EXCAVATE). See also: "Group of signs" (ZODIAC). Also, the sun is huge. (The sun's is approximately 865,370 miles (DIAMETER)) (It's over 100 times larger than Earth (7,917.5 miles). Imagine if taking a plane to Paris took 600 hours instead of six. The flight would take almost a month!)

Anybody ever heard of the band LEN? Not me. 

I liked this one. The cluing was fun - "They might help with the dishes" (RECIPES) and "Something that's thrown out while using it" (ANCHOR), for instance - and it sent me on a few research errands, and that's always fun. I hope you enjoyed it too.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed it. Fantastic clues, nice entries. QUICK QUESTION is terrific, as is LOVE CONQUERS ALL, which I didn't know originated with Virgil's work.

    ReplyDelete