Friday, January 6, 2023

Friday, January 6, 2023, Erica Hsiung Wojcik

Definitely a challenging Friday themeless today. The NW and SE corners are fairly cut off from the main swath of the puzzle, making them little minipuzzles. The SE was the hardest part for me today.

I broke in in the NE corner with WILCO, a favorite of Hope's. I can't believe that album came out over 20 years ago. I smiled at 10D: Character who's striped and spotted (WALDO), books that were initially published 35 years ago. Ah, well. They can't all be super contemporary. 12D: Hot take? (LOVESCENE) added to a fun corner.

I got a few crosses for the middle section, such as 21D: Labor relief, perhaps (EPIDURAL) and the excellent John TURTURRO (if you haven't seen his wonderful performance in Severance, look for it!). But since I didn't break through with these crosses, I started again in the SW corner, with 35D: Arcade character with a propeller beanie (JRPACMAN), helped out by Yo-Yo Ma's CELLOBOW (what else could it be?)

This New Year's baked BRIE, courtesy of Horace

Finally I got the middle three long answers. I've never heard of JUDITHHEUMANN before, but I see she is well worthy of the marquee entree in the NYT crossword puzzle. 31A: Big ticket item? (COURTSIDESEAT) is a good answer, but I'm not entirely convinced by the clue. Or, to be more precise, the need for the question mark. In any case, TREASURETROVE is also a good answer.

Now it was time to break into the isolated corners. 7D: Ride with a third wheel (TRIKE) was surprisingly literal. I love the term FURBABIES, but let's be clear: my dogs are not my children. I don't even get their names mixed up with my kids' names. Usually.

In the SE, I made life hard for me by putting in "rda" for GMO. As Horace said in yesterday's comments, when things aren't working out, take out whatever you're not completely sure of. OILY helped me to see RIOGRANDE, and that helped finish things out.

As I said, it took me longer than a typical Friday, at 11:34. But a good challenge is always welcome!

- Colum

4 comments:

  1. Really like this puzzle. Some super entries and terrific clues -- Labor relief, perhaps for EPIDURAL to name just one. And that baked BRIE looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm... that brie does look good. :)

    I went through this one pretty quickly - 10:33 - even though NATATORIA and JUDITHHEUMANN took several crosses. The latter, all, I think.

    FURBABIES = no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me 18:25, fine for a Friday. Yes, FURBABIES no. However, I was able to drop it in off of the clue. It must be well-known by now that I happened to perform "Jesus Etc." solo at a concert on September 11, 2021, just one week before the 20th anniversary of the album's release.

    ReplyDelete