Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Wednesday, January 25, 2023, Nancy Serrano-Wu

When do sports and alcohol mix? When don't they!

Okay, I'm clearly influenced by my Joke-a-Day calendar (gifted to me by Horace and Frannie). 

But today's theme takes sports related phrases where the last word is also an alcohol reference, and clues each with "Sports bar purchases?". This is excellent stuff: I love FANTASYDRAFTS particularly. TRIPLEDOUBLES is also excellent (for our non-sports fan readers, this is when a basketball player gets double digits in three statistics in one game, typically in points, assists, and rebounds). I can imagine PENALTYSHOTS occurring in drinking games. It's rounded out with STARPITCHERS.

In direct opposition to the sports and alcohol, we get LISZT at 1A. I am very amused by this. I can't entirely explain why. Perhaps the ballet reference below (ONTOE) and the super sophisticated European AVION at 17A reinforce that impression?

Is that TENABLE?

Big PAPI

CATSMEOW is the bee's knees, if you ask me. Otherwise there's not that much in terms of clever clues, except 1D: Apt shoe for a bread maker? (LOAFER). Apt!

Fun Wednesday. And in the words of the infamous Austin Powers, IMSPENT.

- Colum

1 comment:

  1. Sports-shmorts. I do like alcohol, though, so the theme was OK in my book. Nice that the puzzle started out with LISZT. I happen to be playing a little waltz of his in A-maj right now. I saw its premier, believe it or not, back in 1990-something, I think, in Mechanics Hall, Worcester MA. 1998 maybe? Anyway, I don't remember that Austin Powers saying. I'd say I'd re-watch them, but there's so much to see nowadays, it's unlikely.

    ReplyDelete