Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Tuesday, January 10, 2023, Emily Rourke

Well, Dear Reader, I don't know if you know this about me, but I like cats. Even fictional ones. So I purred right through this one. :)

TYLERS

The five cats lounging in this grid are:

PINKPANTHER (Puts me in mind of the Nash quote: "When called by a panther, don't anther.")
TONYTHETIGER (Delicious.)
HELLOKITTY (This is a ripoff of Nintje, just like The Lion King is a ripoff of Kimba...)
COWARDLYLION ("What makes the muskrat guard his musk?")
CHESHIRECAT (Such an odd character!)

Is it a problem that the definite article is missing in three of them? I don't think so. Sure, we usually say "The PINKPANTHER," or "The COWARDLYLION," but come on... it's not even worth mentioning in a blog about the puzzle, I wouldn't imagine...

Of course, Frannie would probably argue that ODOR is bonus theme material. It's something she thinks of when she thinks about cats, I think. That and the shedding. And the allergens. Some might even call a cat a MONSTER, a LEECH, a money PIT. Not I.

I was sad to see TENNIS referred to as a "Pickleball relative." For some reason, pickleball really IRKS me. I've never tried it. I'm sure it's fun. It's just not for me. 

Let's see... ANTEATER (Animal with a long, sticky tongue) was nice. GLASGOW (Scottish city on the River Clyde) is on the proverbial travel list. And if someone offers me DECAF, I reply NODEAL.

- Horace

3 comments:

  1. A quick Tuesday jaunt! I liked the feline theme. Although the idea of saying "Hello, kitty!" to a tiger or a lion... Perhaps a little disrespectful. Probably asking to be hoisted by thine own PETARD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PETARD is a fave. Although I was familiar with the HOIST phrase long before I knew what PETARD meant. Thought for the longest time it was some kind of medieval jockstrap or something. I put DEARIE in instead of MOPPET which cost me some time but in the end, a quick one for me too (2:50). Oh and I love cats too, so that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind a cat, but I'd never want one. They don't make much noise and if the owner is diligent with the "litter" box, then there isn't much ODOR. The theme was nice. I don't know if those things are "ripoffs," or if they're just more successful improvements on the originals. My favorite of the bunch is the CHESHIRECAT. I seem to recall that President Tyler of the TYLERS is the reason that we as a nation developed a plan on what should be done if the president becomes incapacitated. Since he was VP when Harrison died after only a month, and there was no plan in place at the time, he just started signing documents as "President Tyler" and it stuck for the remainder of the term. I could be mistaken, I guess, but I seem to remember that from my college history course.

    ReplyDelete