Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Wednesday, January 18, 2023, Lindsay McBride

Despite some real cream puffs ("Plaza resident of fiction" (ELOISE), "Neither's partner" (NOR), "1983 hit song that begins with 'Domo arigato'" (MRROBOTO), "Ones being pointed to at a distance" (THOSE), QB ELI Manning, and friends), I still had LOTSA slowdowns in this grid. At 4A: "Submit, as homework" I first tried turnIN then pAssIN and then finally HANDIN. When I got to "What some flakes are made of" I entered 'snow' instead of BRAN. And I didn't get any of the theme answers until I got the revealer. ERGO, a fast time today? UMNO. I guess I just wasn't ALVIN the best day. My consolation prize was a lovely palindromic time: 12:21.

Once I knew understood the theme, it was easier to come up with the correct PICKUPLINE for each situation described in clue. On can pick up a tab (ITSMYTREAT), a receiver (ANSWERTHEPHONE), one's bed chamber (CLEANYOURROOM), or a passenger (DOYOUNEEDARIDE). My favorite pick up line of a type suggested by the clue for the revealer ("'Come here often?' ... ") is, "I'd like to rearrange the alphabet so U and I can be together." Ha!

67A: NESTED

The puzzle was not without its own amusements. I enjoyed "'I'm FROND of you' (Valentine's Day message for a plant lover?)" and its neighbor, "Mole that should definitely be removed?" (SPY). I also liked "Letters of amusement" for LOL. "Certain itinerant musician" (PIPER) was fun. 

Fill-wise, I liked BETCHA, NETTLE, and DIVINE. I would have preferred OHO instead of OOH for "Sound of intrigue" at 33A, but maybe that's being too picky.

~Frannie. 

1 comment:

  1. Great theme today! And a palindromic time followed by (on Thursday) a double-number time? Nice job, Frannie, even if it's not entirely planned (or at all, for that matter). I came in under ten, which is usual, I guess, for a Wednesday. Well, MRROBOTO: a song I never much cared for, but at least it's not rap. FROND was excellent.

    ReplyDelete