Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Tuesday, January 17, 2023, Erika Ettin

Most of the answers to the clues in the puzzle were clear as day to me. I completed the grid in an unhurried 6:56, pausing frequently to correct typos, but only occasionally to ponder a clue. I wasn't immediately able to fill the empty squares at 19A based on the clue "Zero, zippo, zilch" with NOTONEIOTA, but was able to get it after looking at a kappala Downs.

This reviewer ELECTS "Hamilton's notes" (TENS), "Word after rock or rubber" (BAND), "Stick around awhile" (LAST), and "Scroll through a few books?" (TORAH) as today's most enjoyable entries. ANOMALY, VOID, ORACLE, and everyone's favorite DATA are all nice ITEMS

47D: LAKE

There was one clue/answer pair (or C/AP, as I like to call them to save some typing) that didn't come together for me. It was "Clique" for GANG. Yes, both words refer to groups of people, but the kinds of groups you would refer to with each of those words seem very different to me. Maybe that's just me being too fussy about the SHADINESS of meaning. I felt the C/AP "'You win'" (ILOSE) lacked afflatus as does the frequently-resorted-to C/AP "Mine [or similar], in Marseille" (AMOI). Neither is anything to BRAGG about. On the other hand, I found "Cacophony" for DIN and "Saunter" for AMBLE particularly APT - apt! Also, DRAGS for "Is tiresomely long, as a meeting" really rang true for this solver. :)

And speaking of meetings, Frannie's gotta bounce. Here's wishing our dear Readers a lovely DIA? DAG? DEN? TAG? LETSCALLITADAY.

~Frannie.

4 comments:

  1. Agree about Clique/GANG. I mean, sure, but...
    And nice touch with the "kappala." It took me quite a beta time to zeta joke there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came in at 3 seconds under Frannie's time, also unhurried. I only know one of the LETSCALLITADAY from the shaded square entries ([DIA]), but that didn't hold me up too much. We all love a TESLACOIL, and it was nice to see it in the grid. DIN, of course, reminds one of the Awful Dynne from "The Phantom Tollbooth," doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ทดลองสล็อต pg เล่นฟรีทุกค่าย PG SLOT รองรับเล่นผ่านมือถือทุกระบบ ไม่ว่าจะเป็น IOS และก็ Android ผู้ใช้สามารถเล่นได้ในทุกเกมแบบไม่ต้องสมัครก่อนใครที่เว็บ PG-SLOT.GAME

    ReplyDelete
  4. ทางเข้าpg เป็นอีกหนึ่ง ปากทางเข้าพนัน PGSLOT เกมสล็อตออนไลน์ ยอดนิยมอย่างยิ่งที่สุด เนื่องด้วยเป็นเว็บไซต์พนัน สล็อตออนไลน์ ประสิทธิภาพ ที่เปิดให้บริการPG ที่เยี่ยมที่สุด

    ReplyDelete