Saturday, January 21, 2023

Saturday, January 21, 2023, David Distenfeld

Today's puzzle put up more of a fight than yesterday's. I got ABIT stuck in the northeast corner and had to close the app for a while - thus the later-than-sometimes posting of the review. When I went back to the puzzle, I chipped away at the surprising ICEPELLET ("Part of a cold shower, maybe") that had helped put the freeze on my progress. Well, to be completely accurate, CHEERIOS didn't immediately float to the top and "Earring Magic ___ ... doll) was beyond my KEN. I stuck with it, though, and can now say ICK BEEN ein Completer! :) My total time was 28:10, but I probably spent at least 10 minutes on that top right corner. 

Elsewhere, the puzzle was alternately challenging and straightforward, but fun throughout. Although there were several amusing Question Mark Clues including "Result of being fired?" (ASH) and "Quick pick me up?" (CAB) today, I'm giving my vote to the non-QMCs. Here are my favorites:
"Gnats and curs, e.g." (BITERS)
"Top story" (ATTIC)
"Electrically flexible" (ACDC)
"Fitted with footwear" (SHOD)
"Disposition" (BENT)
WITHCHEESE was funny for "Quarter Pounder qualifier." 

Interesting to learn that the sale of CDS rose in 2021 and 2022. I prefer a CD over a streaming service. I don't trust those content providers for long-term access. Call me crazy, but a co-worker told me only this week that a movie she had "bought" several years ago from Amazon had been removed from her account. I also enjoyed learning what I assume must be a known phrase "on the struggle bus." Even though it seems to mean that people are NOTDOINGSOHOT, it's a great phrase. 

47A: LOGE (at La Scala in Milan)

Our dear Readers know that sports do not constitute my NATIVESOIL, but today, my limited knowledge was just enough to get the EXTRAPOINT and BESTOFSEVEN - although, to be honest, I did try BESTOFthree first. I did not know the Georgia DAWGS, but luckily, thanks to the crosses, I didn't even have to paws there. 

Overall, as Simon Harwood of the TV series W1A might say, STRONG.

~Frannie.

2 comments:

  1. Super puzzle! Some really terrific long entries and the clues are great. Loved dropping in SHABBAT SHALOM -- on the Sabbath! Great review, Frannie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were those your seats for the opera? Looks nice enough to me. For some reason, I was able to fly through this one in 12:46; not a typical Saturday time for me. Funny that HAILS and CAB are both in the grid, but BELCH: gross. I'm surprised that "acid" wasn't part of the clue for TRIP (13A Word with round or head).

    ReplyDelete