Monday, January 23, 2023

Monday, January 23, 2023, Adrian Johnson

It's a cute theme today, in Monday land. When is a wind instrument not a wind instrument? When it's a CHAMPAGNEFLUTE, a SHOEHORN, or a TAPERECORDER. The only other examples I can think of off the top of my head would be an ear trumpet, and maybe a whistle stop?

Regardless, it's excellent advice to a musician holding one of these objects: DONTBLOWIT. Hah! I chuckled out loud, and that's a good sign on a Monday.

Meanwhile, there were a number of fun clues in the mix. How about 4D: High-level cover up? (ECLIPSE). Perfect! I did not see that coming. 13D: Holey shoe (CROC) is amusing. A little math for Huygens with 17A: 5, for the set [2, 4, 6, 8] (MEAN). 

And the best yet - 58D: [Excuse me, this is a library ...!] (SHH). What a great way to liven up a three letter answer.

There are definitely nine of them

In the ROI (References of Interest) category, we get Alessandro VOLTA, CAMEROON (Thanks, Sporcle, for allowing me to get this one off the clue), MONGOOSE, PITUITARY, and OSIRIS. All very gettable, and adding to the general knowledge base is always welcome.

I very much appreciate a Monday puzzle that hits on all the cycles, while still being in the welcome to newcomers range. 2:40.

- Colum

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful theme and grid work! Nothing but smiles from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Colum, I liked not only the math-themed answer, but the ECLIPSE, as I'm an official umbraphile, as we're called. Heading over Down Under in a few months for another opportunity to stand in the shadow of the Moon for a short while. And I enjoyed the music theme; really hit on three of my favorite things. If only some Star Trek or Doctor Who could have been in there! But seriously, can't we, as a nation, ban CROCs once and for all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting! I've never been to Australia. Or anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere, actually.

      Delete
  3. I agree! Nice theme, and kind of a math-y, science-y flavour to this one. Huygens, what's wrong with Crocs really? (And I ask this as a non-Croc owner.) 2:26 and would have been faster if I hadn't put CHOICE in instead of ANSWER, leading to a short flurry of backtracking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice time, Philbo! One of these days you'll break the 2 minute barrier.

      Delete
    2. Nothing against people that own them, but they're ugly and cheap-looking.

      Delete
  4. I liked the contrasting pair, in opposite corners, OHGODNO and IMFORIT. OTH, as something of a librarian myself, I’m not a big fan of the stereotype perpetuated by the SHH thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. โปร สล็อต pg slot จากเว็บสล็อตออนไลน์ PG-SLOT.GAME ที่ยกเกมสล็อตออนไลน์จากค่ายดังมาอย่างหลากหลายค่ายเกม เช่น pg slot jili joker และอื่นๆอีกมากมายในเว็บเดียว มาแรง 2022

    ReplyDelete
  6. สล็อตเว็บตรง แตกง่าย สล็อตแตกง่าย เกมพนันออนไลน์ ยอดนิยม สล็อตที่นิยมเยอะที่สุดในตอนนี้เพราะเป็นเกมที่มีแบบอย่างการเล่นที่ง่าย ไม่สลับซับซ้อน ต่างจากพนันอื่นๆ ที่มีข้อตกลงต่างๆมากมาย

    ReplyDelete