Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Wednesday, May 3, 2023, Samuel A. Donaldson

Britney is finally free, and the crossworld salutes her. Here her 2000 classic OOPSIDIDITAGAIN is cited for adding "it" to three phrases, which are then clued into amusingness. 

 

WHOCANITBITENOW - Vicious pet handler's query? (Was that Men at Work?)
ITSAGOODTITHING - Observation when the collection plate is overflowing? (Har har)
IGUESSITSFINITE - "So much for my theory that the universe has no end"? (Word!)

My favorite is the last one, because I have difficulty believing that the universe is infinite. But we don't have time (nor, likely, any appetite) for that discussion here.

I got lost in the game a little while I was solving. You see my problem was this - "Some occupations?" was tricky for PROTESTS, and for some reason it took me way too long to think of TOM for "Barnyard male." Ha! And I think I had "mpa" instead of AFI ("100 Years ... 100 Movies" org.). Is there an AMA? American Movie Association? ... I don't know. Can't you see I'm a fool in so many ways?

I enjoyed the two "Skywalker mentor" clues (KENOBI/YODA), and the whole thing seemed very Scrabbly, didn't it? SEZ, AMAZE, JAW, RIOJA, KATMANDU, IKE, PARK, KIR, COW... that's a lot of points right there. 

One thing I didn't love was the clue for GLOMONTO - "Seize hastily." I always think of GLOMONTO as meaning "to adhere" or "to ingratiate" or "to jump onto the bandwagon." Have I been wrong all this time? If so, that is just so typically me. UGH.

In tOTO, really enjoyed this one. All aboard.

- Horace

No comments:

Post a Comment