Monday, June 19, 2023

Monday, June 19, 2023, David Liben-Nowell

Happy Monday morning to all. Hope you don't have major hangovers from your Father's Day celebrations. LOL! JK. Dads don't drink. 

Back in the real world, we have a highly unusual grid for this Monday morning. It runs 12 squares across and 19 squares down, for a total of 228 squares, 3 more than the standard 225 in a 15 x 15 grid. It's all in the service of creating a visual PB&J sandwich, which allows the constructor to break standard crossword rules by having the same across answer twice (SLICEOFBREAD). I suppose he could have used "anotherslice" but I like the symmetry instead.

Personally, I take a cherry jam for my "Fruity sandwich ingredient." Bonne Maman makes a fine exemplar. But that wouldn't have fit in the crossword sandwich as well.

I also do not take my rye OVERICE. I don't like the steadily increasing dilution of the intense rye flavor. 

FIJI - another place I'd like to visit

There are a number of fun entries in the fill. BEEHIVE, AERIALIST, and STRIKEOUT, to name a TRILOGY. Those of us familiar with "Auntie Mame" would have chosen TOPshelf rather than TOPNOTCH, but that's a small complaint.

I'm not fond of answers like HEYS and HES, AUKward plurals that simply don't exist in real life. But I understand the rigors of constructing sometimes require these sorts of compromises.

Fun Monday!

- Colum


No comments:

Post a Comment