Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Tuesday, June 27, 2023, Anthony Gisonda

I spent a while this morning catching up on the BABADOOK (Horror film monster who has become an L.G.B.T.Q. icon, with "the"), and now I have to REFOCUS and churn out a review. 

This theme was unexpected. Four kinds of MUSTACHE, all spelled out and depicted in the grid using scads of triple-checked letters. A Dalì, a Fumanchu, a handlebar, and a pencil. Pretty impressive feat, really, to cram them all in here. 

What kind is this?

I assume the triple-checking forced a somewhat disjointed grid, but there's nothing too objectionable. OPI (Nail polish brand), the plural USOS (Shows for soldiers, informally), OLORD (Prayer starter), the very strange ANDTHEN (Segue in a story)... ok, if you look you can find things. But you can also find nice words like DOCILE (Tame), ALLURE (Enticing quality), BLAZE (Reason to call the fire department), and everybody's favorite genre GLAMROCK.

I find it interesting that the longest Down answers are both two-word qualifiers: ONOCCASION (Every so often) and ASPROMISED ("Just like I said I would ..."). Weird.

My sister does a good MISSCLEO impression. If you're lucky, maybe she'll do it for you sometime.

Interesting, unusual theme, some fun answers - good Tuesday.

- Horace

No comments:

Post a Comment