Thursday, June 22, 2023

Thursday, June 22, 2023, Michael Baker and Jeff Chen

If it's Thursday, it must be a rebus! Well, not "must," but if you don't know why your answer won't fit into the number of squares given, it's a near-certainty. I saw 16A: First of the Jewish High Holy Days, and knew the answer would be RO[SHH]ASHANAH, but without more information, I couldn't see where the rebus would be. Lord knows, 2D: Headwear with breathable fabric (ME[SHH]AT) was never going to jump out at me. 

Fortunately, all the other crossings are much stronger. CORNI[SHH]EN crossing CRA[SHH]ELMET is a good one. I always knew the fowl as a "game hen," but I see the answer as posted Googles well. FRE[SHH]ERBS and HU[SHH]USH is very good, and BRITI[SHH]UMOR and SMA[SHH]IT work well, especially when you get the bonus 51A: ____ the Enchanter (TIM).

The revealer for all of these rebuses comes at 38A: New parent's whispered admonishment ... or a hint to four squares in this puzzle (THEBABYISASLEEP). I've been there. 

I'm glad ABRAM wasn't clued with President Garfield for once

This must have been a tough grid to construct (Mr. Chen often arrives on the scene to help out a grid that has a great premise but needs help). There are a ton of answers which trigger my "raise an eyebrow" alert. 19A: Approved by one's insurance company, say (INAREA) is arcane business lingo - and on a separate unrelated note, was the last answer I filled in because I couldn't see what it was going to be. I did like the crossing clue though, 3D: Catch some waves? (HEAR).

Other stuff: BANC (esoteric). CIAOS (not a term that should be pluralized), ACME (not used outside of Roadrunner cartoons), AURAE (Latin plurals now?), and 29D: Some grid lines: Abbr. (STS) - I guess they mean streets here, and the grid is like a city grid. But still. It's a bit much for the level of crosswords that are being produced nowadays.

On the other hand, there's the excellent meta clue at 22A: Co. that, in 1925, said of crosswords "The craze evidently is dying out fast" (NYT). Hah! Guess they were off by at least a century.

Congratulations to Mr. Baker for his debut in the above named newspaper's crossword. I still enjoyed the puzzle, even if I had a number of complaints!

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it, probably because it was so easy -- ROSH HASHANA gave it away with the clue. I dropped in INAREA last, too, because I didn't -- and still don't -- know what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it wasn't until BRITI[SHH]UMOR that I figured out what was going on, but once I got that, the others fell pretty quickly.
    HASDIBS was fun, and SALIVA was unexpected! And I liked INAREA better than RENU. But the one that made me smile the most was Cleese's finest role. "You're a busy man, O TIM."

    ReplyDelete