Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Wednesday, June 7, 2023, Jennifer Lee and Victor Galson

Today's puzzle features the story of a ship threatened by high seas, told through a set of reportage-style theme answers reminiscent of Tom Swifties - minus Tom. The four theme answers form a sort of short story beginning with the BREAKINGSTORY of a ship at sea threatened by crashing (or breaking) waves. Get it? :) The story continues aptly with LEAKEDFOOTAGE, and, wouldn't you know it, the show can be seen STREAMINGLIVE. All's well that ends well: certain CURRENTEVENTS, or changes in ocean conditions, allow the ship to return safely to port. That's what I call a bon voyage. :)

In addition to adventure on the high seas, the puzzle included a hull of a lot of entertaining clues including "One thing ... or two people" (ITEM), "Succeeds, as a joke" (LANDS), "Choice word" (OPT), "Supporter of the arts?" for EASEL, which was cute, and my favorite, "First-year college assignment" for (DORM). I also enjoyed the pair of "type" clues: "It can be small, smooth or sweet" (TALK) and "Kind of soda, steak or sandwich" (CLUB). 

16D: STYX

In general, the solve was smooth sailing, although I hit the rocks in a couple of places. "Followers of mis" for (FAS) had me stumped for a bit. It also took me some time to see PLASMATV because for some reason, I read "Electronics purchase" in the clue as meaning some kind of tech corporation merger instead of simply an electronic device. Derp. I was in the dark for a while, too, with "Shade of black" choosing to enter the unenlightened 'noir' instead of the correct ONYX. Really, though, the above were just small blips on the radar. and nautical seriously problematic. 

I shoal enjoyed this one. How aboat you?

~Frannie.

No comments:

Post a Comment