Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Tuesday, June 20, 2023, Aimee Lucido

For some reason, I am particularly pleased with puzzles that have their themed answers in the downs, and there's a good reason for it. As you know, all puzzles with standard symmetry can be rotated so the across and down answers are traded, so the only reason we have the theme answers traditionally in that acrosses is... well, tradition.

Today, the revealer is at 10D: Absolutely lose it ... or a hint to 6-, 18-, 21- and 24-Down (BLOWYOURTOP). And, indeed, the first word in each of the referenced answers is something you can blow. I personally am inclined towards 6D (WHISTLESTOPTOUR), something I do a fair amount of while walking from place to place. I almost never do 24D: (RASPBERRYPI), and very rarely 18D (BUBBLEWRAP), because I'm not a big fan of bubblegum (although chewing gum is fine). Of course, there's a fair amount of 21D (KISSMEKATE).


That's a lot of theme material, including a grid-spanning 15-letter answer! I am impressed that Ms. Lucido manages to make the grid as smooth as she does. There's the lovely TATERTOT and CLOTHESPIN for longer crossing answers. Somehow I was unaware that PANDORA was also the first woman in Greek myth. How unsurprising and unoriginal of the Greeks to place the blame for all the woes of the world on a woman.

The only answer I really have an issue with is HEYS. Can you imagine the conversation that would contain this word in real life? "I don't know how many 'heys' I have to shout to get your attention!" Hmmm.

But, PSHAW. That's hardly nothing. Any puzzle that has the C/AP of 20A: Person who can't be the victim of a pickpocket (NUDIST) is a winner in my books.

- Colum

1 comment:

  1. BUBBLE WRAP made me smile...I *love* popping those bubbles. It's addictive. Really nice set of theme entries, and a super payoff.

    ReplyDelete