Saturday, October 1, 2022

Saturday, October 1, 2022, Natan Last

"Pride goeth," eh? As D. I. Thursday might say. Yesterday so fast, today so slow. And a FWOE to boot! (I didn't know the author or the school). But let's stop being so cryptic.

GALLERIA Vittorio Emanuele II

This was a fun, challenging, Saturday puzzle. I was happy with myself for remembering TONELOC ("Funky Cold Medina" rapper), and for being able to enter AARON (M.L.B. career leader in total bases) without crosses, but even with IVORY (____ tower) next to it, that NW corner was tough to the end! MECHA (Anime and manga genre involving robots) was not going to come to me, and I had a hard time seeing "Lead" as MAIN. "Bit of shelter" (EAVE) took me ages!

It's fun to have GERTRUDESTEIN (Who wrote "In the morning there is meaning, in the evening there is feeling") lying alongside TONELOC. I think they'd both enjoy the proximity. And I'm not thinking of it in a POSENUDE way, just in an interesting juxtaposition way. 

I liked the conversational answers like YESYOU, ONESEC, and even SHOOEDAWAY (Waved at, maybe), and it's always nice when simple answers like PEN ("The tongue of the soul," per Cervantes) and MEMO (Format of some N.S.A. leaks) are elevated by their clues. See also: "Part of the mind that is 'like all propagandists, relentlessly repetitive,' per Adam Phillips" - although SUPEREGO is, itself, an interesting entry. 

I like a challenge on a Saturday, and for me, this fit the bill nicely.

- Horace

No comments:

Post a Comment