Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Tuesday, June 20, 2017, Jason Flinn

16:04

I dropped in MANCHESTERUNITED like I wrote the clue myself and SOUTHBYSOUTHWEST was no problem, but I did have to resort to the old sing-song pattern to get MISSISSIPPIDELTA spelled correctly. I did not go so far as the old 'M I crooked letter crooked letter I crooked letter crooked letter I humpback humpback I,' but, I could have. :) What do these three 16-letter theme answers have in common, you ask? Well, they hint at arrival and departure locales. Sweet.

I got a little hung up in the southeast because I first entered ASHcan instead of ASHBIN at 43D. and I am not familiar with actress DEBI Mazar of "Entourage," but I sorted myself out eventually.

I liked the anagram at 49A. Bush, or an anagram of BUSH plus one letter (SHRUB). Also enjoyed "Like the group you're in if you're out, for short" clue at 40D. (LGBT). And Applesauce meaning HOKUM is a new one on me (31A).


Horace and I agreed that CUESTA (Hill that's steep on one side and gentle on the other) was a bit of an outlier for a Tuesday. Some of the 18 three-letter words left a little to be desired, like TRA, TIL, and EDA, but not every answer can be one's PRIDEANDJOY.

~Frannie

2 comments:

  1. 9:29
    I have to say that I didn't love TEMAS (I've used theme, motif, but never tema), and it doesn't even Google that well. Neither that NOR CUESTA belong in a Tuesday grid, but neither slowed me down too much, PERISH the thought. MAHI MAHI is a favorite, as is SAKE. And I loved KICKSBUTT; IMPRESSive. I remember seeing MADMAX several times at the old E.M. Lowes on Main Street in Worcester back in the day. I put in ASHcan at first, like Frannie, but it wasn't there for too long. MALAYS was nice to see in the grid, PUTRID not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6:31
    I can't believe INSISTSUPON wasn't clued with a Family Guy/Godfather reference. I'll have to ask Dad about CUESTA, and see whether or not "we know that word."
    I liked this one fine. Makes me want to book a flight.

    ReplyDelete