Monday, June 4, 2018

Monday, June 4, 2018, Zhouqin Burnikel

3:34

Today, I am reminded of Bunthorne:

A sentimental passion
Of a vegetable fashion
Must excite your languid spleen...

Not only do we get the thematic DOUBLETREE in each long answer, Ms. Burnikel seeds the grid with multiple other flora: there are ARBORS, GLADS, an IRIS, perhaps on a SILL. A BEE buzzes around (and manages to AVOID the DEET), and I prefer my ODOR to be of the verdant rather than dumpster variety.

Clearly BALDERDASH is the winner of the theme answers. It's a great word, and all but two letters are used in the two trees (alder and ash). STEALTHFIGHTER uses only six of its letters for its two trees (tea and fig), so the least satisfying.
Coming soon to a theater near you?
I have to acknowledge some lovely crossings as well. We get ADULT crossing LEWD, and KENNEL crossing DROOLS. Nicely done! I will also give PROPs for the two colloquial sayings that are the long down answers.

Well done, as usual, Ms. Burnikel.

AMENTOTHAT!

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. 4:06
    In addition to the LEWD/ADULT cross, we have LSD/DALI and DROOLS/KENNEL. I believe this is my best Monday time (and therefore my best time, period). And how about 51D Honeybunch (TOOTS) for a throwback? Nice puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4:02 (FWE)

    Odd theme, if you ask me. Which, as I understand it, you didn't. I'm certain I had to hunt around for an error somewhere, but I can't remember what it was. Maybe "Drat" for "DARN?" I don't know.

    Anyway, I didn't heed the DONTBLOWIT warning. Obviously. Still, a decent puzzle. AMENTOTHAT.

    ReplyDelete