Saturday, December 4, 2021

Saturday, December 4, 2021, Nam Jin Yoon

I'm sure a lot of you are thinking exactly what I'm thinking right now. Why, exactly, is a FAN a "deadly household appliance, according to Korean urban legend?" Apparently, even into the 21st century, it was commonly thought that running a fan in a room without open windows was to invite imminent mortality. Thanks to Mr. Yoon for teaching us about this!

In fact, the F of that answer was my final square entered today. It took forever to see CHEFSKISS, which, once I had it filled in, immediately brought forth the expected imagery. I love the CYBERCAFE right next door to the HOOKAHBAR. The neighborhood is coming together!

35A: Taps (FAUCETS) was next to impossible to get without multiple crossings. Very nice simple clue with so many possible meanings! For some reason, I am suddenly thinking that creating a crossword puzzle in German might be challenging to clue ambiguously...

Hey! I only just now noticed the very unusual symmetry of this puzzle, along the NW to SE diagonal. It's a very pretty grid, actually.

55A: "I got you" (SAYNOMORE) has a very specific vibe for me.


I tried to put FREELabor in at 13D: Like many jobs in the gig economy (FREELANCE). Don't tell me I'm wrong!

How nice is the symmetrically placed BAA and MOO? I see that they're far away from the neighborhood. Seems apt.

Favorite QMC today is 41D: Masked warning? (ENGARDE). Ah, the memories of fencing during high school. That was a ton of fun.

It's a lovely Saturday puzzle that played easier than yesterday's. NOTETOSELF: remember to remind folks that Horace is taking over tomorrow...

- Colum

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    I found the diagonal symmetry somewhat troubling as I started this one, but I guess I got used to it. I had "temporary" instead of FREELANCE for a bit, and yeah, FAUCETS was a toughie! As was "Face to scale" (CLIFF), but eventually I made my way up.

    ReplyDelete