Friday, September 23, 2022

Friday, September 23, 2022, Erik Agard

I love it when a Friday is harder than a typical Saturday, and that happened to me today. Your mileage may vary, of course, but sometimes you're just not on the same wavelength as a constructor, or the way the clues are written seem to skip out of your grasp.

For example, I needed just about every single cross to finally get 5D: Not in bounds? (ONESTEPATATIME). Wow! That's a tough one, but makes perfect sense once you've gotten it. The last crossing I had was 31A: Something not to look after? (LEAP) - referencing "look before you leap." Goodness. Tough clues!

40A: It's often drawn with three ellipses (ATOM) was actually pretty straightforward, but I could not see it. It hurt that I had WEWiN instead of WEWON. Also, making that area much more challenging was my choice to put in tonNE instead of STONE, a perfectly acceptable answer, just not the right one.

Megan Thee Stallion AKA Tina Snow

Some awesome entries in this grid. GENDEREUPHORIA is beautifully clued - "being aligned in one's body" referencing gender identity, not musculoskeletal concerns! GATECRASH, MESSAGERECEIVED, SISTERACT, all excellent.

HOTEL eluded me for a long time. And how many of those stupid little bottles have I collected over the years from business trips?

A very smooth Friday. The only negative comment I have is for the use of the answer ICARE. I don't believe it's offered as a reassuring statement of sympathy in real life. But maybe that's just me. SPAREME.

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment