Sunday, September 18, 2022

Sunday, September 18, 2022, Katie Hale

BECAUSE I SAID SO!

Funny how our tradition of putting the Sunday puzzle title in all caps seems appropriate for this theme about exasperated parents. The idea here is standard phrases parents use to deal with kids who are being difficult, and reinterpreting them as things that are aptly said by parents with different careers.

Thus, the mechanic might be inclined to say ILLTURNTHISCARAROUND, while the mathematician might lean more towards saying ITOLDYOUAHUNDREDTIMES. I bet some individuals here at HAFSTNYTCPFCFA might find themselves saying the last one, LETSPLAYTHEQUIETGAME.

It's a cute theme, even if it didn't really have me laughing out loud. Also, the puzzle went superfast for me, so I didn't have as much time as I sometimes have to appreciate while I'm solving.

I liked the two long down answers, at 16D: Sellers franchise, with "The" (PINKPANTHER) and 68D: What a bad dancer is said to have (TWOLEFTFEET). I grew up loving the Inspector Clousseau movies, although I suspect they're pretty dated at this point. The latter reminds me of the Eugene Levy character from Best in Show who actually has two left feet.



It's alarming to think of a beast with an 11-meter WINGSPAN (that's 36 feet for the metrically challenged). Fortunately we humans never met one of those guys. The biggest set of wings currently belongs to the Wandering Albatross, with 12 feet. That's DOUBLEUP my height, so intimidating enough.

Nothing much in terms of the cute or clever clues today. So I'll just go out with marveling that Scott TUROW continues to find his way into the puzzle based on a lawyer/crime novel from 1990.

- Colum

3 comments:

  1. I found this quite unchallenging today (or, yesterday, that is.) Still fun and diverting but no sticky points anywhere. 8:32 when the dust settled, pretty much as fast as all those little boxes can be filled in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Philbo! I agree about the easiness, albeit on a different level - I was under fifteen today, which is probably my fastest Sunday ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But that said, I did chuckle a few times at the themers. And nice shout out to the librarians in the group, Colum! :)

    ReplyDelete