Thursday, September 8, 2022

Thursday, September 8, 2022, Matthew Stock

I found this a pleasing Thursday rebus. Not just because I love a rebus puzzle, but because the theme of FOURCORNERS was - sort of - reflected in the grid in that the four corners are conspicuously open. Thick triple stacks wrap around them, and the rebi are all located within that open area. Anyway, it pleased me.

TULIPs in Holland, Michigan

Anyway, in case you came here for spoilers (which probably no one ever has), the postal abbreviations for Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico are positioned in the four corners, just as they are in real life. I've never been to that famous spot, but it's on my list. 

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but I signed up for a POESY class this fall. It's both reading and writing poems! By the time my turn to review comes around again, I might be doing the reviews in iambic pentameter! :)

I enjoyed SUPPER (Evening fare), because I think of it as a New England-y word. So are POTROASTS, maybe. TA[CO]BOWLS - not so much. 

SHROUD (Envelop) and PIQUE (Arouse, as intrigue) are nice ten-cent words. And if you're like me, ONRE[CO]RD probably makes you think of the Violent Femmes song "Kiss Off." ("Don't you know that this will go down on your permanent record?") No? 

Anywho... I'm in a bit of a rush this morning so I've gotta run. I had fun with this one.

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. I had fun with it, too! Knew the rebus was coming at LEAN ON ME. And it played relatively easy for me, which was nice. Loved the clues, especially the clue for GARLIC. MALE GAZE is a new word for me, but since I knew AZ had to go somewhere in that area, it didn't hinder me much. Nice fill, too. Brought back some nice memories of FOUR CORNERS. Have fun with your POESY class, Horace o' mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I liked about this theme was that that area really is called Four Corners and the rebi were in the same geographic position in the puzzle as on the map.

    ReplyDelete