Friday, September 9, 2022

Friday, September 9, 2022, Brandon Koppy

It makes me happy that I did not recognize Tetris-like shapes in this grid when I first looked at it. All I did was say "What the?!" before clicking into it to start solving. 

I say I was happy because there was a time (when did Tetris come out? The late '80s?) when I played a lot of Tetris. A. Lot. I've got a bit of an addictive streak, and certain video games triggered it, but it's been years. Now, I guess, it's crosswords. And that damned Wordle. Oh how I hate Wordle... but that's a topic for a different blog.

PLUME

So anyway... is this a "stunt puzzle?" I'd say so. I'm slightly bothered by it not being the same shape as Tetris (it's too wide), and although many of the pieces are represented, there are two versions of the zig-zag and the L piece, but only one of each is shown. Too nit-picky? You tell me.

My mom got into AMWAY for a while in the late '70s, I think. It didn't last too long, but I bet we still have a couple bottles of L.O.C. somewhere. 

This played on the easy side, despite long, interesting entries like PERTURBS (Troubles), EXNIHILO (Out of nothing, in creation myths) (well, they kind of gave that one away), AMNESIA (Ironic-sounding plot device in "Total Recall"), and EPILEPSY (The "sacred disease," to ancient Greeks). I kind of wish the verb had been included in SEESPOT (Iconic phrase in old "Dick and Jane" stories) (run!).

I liked "Upright" for HONEST, and "French, perhaps, in England" was cute for SNOG. I mean, it was fine, put for some reason I didn't love it. You?

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was great fun. When I saw the grid I went first to "what answer would have four unchecked letters?" and I think that is when I recognized the TETRIS connection.

    Almost didn't find it, because I don't do Fridays and Saturdays as often as other days, but was glad I did. And I have no idea why SNOG fell flat for me too. It seems clever and fair.

    ReplyDelete